Fashion :A man’s perspective | TarCulturban on
So long as I’ve been alive exposure to what we call fashion today has been a tad much, I mean my older sister used to buy all sorts of magazines where teenage models show off their made-up fashion sense and the celebrities of the time would splurge the covers. She’d cut out her favourite male celebrity and stick it on her wall, which then, I can say, unleashed the beast in me.
Over the years one realisesthat fashion like human kind, is fickle. One moment bootleg jeans are hip and happening, the next it’s okay to wear a gown in the streets of Braamfontein. Today people say that black is in fashion and tomorrow they say pink is the new black. The masses, based on whatever astrological connection, decide on what not to wear and what’s deemed fit for society to give you a “you look ravishing mate”. One idea remains the deciding factor in matters of the heart – the heart for fashion that is – The Individual.
The individual is the idea that after all these influences, after Drake wore this at the “God-knows-why-they-are-still-relevant Awards” or Kevin Hart had that on in GQ… What a joke… Even after all this, it is The individual that decides what to wear.
This is very much true. From the very moment you see those Nike sneakers to the time you buy Puma desert shoes, it’s all you, Nobody else, unless you’re with your control-freak, NeverLetsYouDoAnything Girlfriend.
Now that you know all of that “Useful Information” allow me to give you more.
There’s a few items of clothing that one just cannot do without, I’m sorry everyone who has no choice on whether or not to get these.
I call these items, the not so cliché name, The Essentials.
Essentials make life easier, faster, smarter, less bloody painful! These are all MustHaves!
I’ll compile a not so cliché list from head to toe. The theme will be summer too, since we’re almost at that door already.
1. The Cap – iKepisi. The sun is scorching an(d) there’s no tree in sight, neither is there shade? iKepisi is the answer.SnapBack, Straight, Flexi… The individual makes that choice.
2. The Shades – Amazaza. Nowadays there’s probably an infinite number of designs for shades, just a word of advice, Keep it simple.
3. The LipStuff – isthaso. Incredibly valuable to your lips, and others all so often. You don’t want to be an ‘Other’.
4. The T-Shirt – iskipa. Go for the plain T-shirt. It’ll never disappoint. Monochrome is a thing as well.
5. The Shorts – iShoti. Roll up your denim shorts if they’re below the knee, not to high. Cargo shorts are welcome to the party. Sweatshorts are a thing. iBemuda though don’t do that thing!
If you’re not that keen on Shorts for any reason.
6. Slim-fit pants. Denim, Chinos, whatever. Slim is smart in Afrikaans. Just saying.
7. The Shoe – iBhathu. Whether it’s flops for the beach, or sneakers for going out. Always remember that the Individual lives in you. He is you.
Now that the list is done. You should have a great outfit for the summer. Not that you didn’t know this already.
Written by : Thando Masekela